Thursday 26 March 2015

Birthday Swag


Okay, it's my birthday today. Unlike some I actually enjoy getting older, reflecting on the year that has passed, and looking forward to the things to come.

My wife clearly knows my tastes, because this year's birthday gifts were awesome. I'm looking forward to running some Deadlands Noir in the near future.

Savage Worlds, Deadlands Noir, Companion, Absinthe House Blues, Adventure, Action Deck, Corey Ryan Walden, Shane
  • Savage Worlds: The Deadlands Noir Companion
  • Savage Worlds: Oversized Action Deck (for initiative order)
  • Savage Worlds: Deadlands Noir GM screen & The Old Absinthe House Blues Adventure
There's a clear theme emerging here right?

I'm a newly fan of Savage Worlds: it's fairly rules-lite, while providing plenty of option for the players; a good mix as far as I'm concerned. For those unfamiliar with Savage Worlds it is essentially a generic system (like GURPS or FATE) that one can use as a background engine for custom games. The rules are pretty damn comprehensive (I don't mean Pathfinder comprehensive, yuck), while leaving plenty of space for the Game Master to inject their flavour and arbitration. Of course, many different settings can be purchased for Savage Worlds, and Deadlands Noir is but one example. 

Personally I find Deadlands Noir setting to be an intriguing escape from the usual tropes and genres my gaming group immerse ourselves in - fantasy, sci-fi and Western. To understand the gist of Deadlands Noir think 20s to 40s depression-era America, but in a parallel universe. It's what may have transpired if the Civil War had not been won by the Union, the Native American Indians retained some land, and the Mormon church assumed control of Utah. Throw in some weird science, anachronous technologies, catastrophic events, and anomalous and monstrous beings, and you'll have a pretty good idea of what to expect. 

Knowing me I won't be using it all 'by the book' but I will certainly tamper and tweak to create something more 'me'. Having said that, Deadlands Noir as written is a very compelling and alluring setting, with the Noir shining through like a dirty, oily diamond. I like gritty and dark settings so this one will sit happily on my shelf next to my Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea box set, and my soon-to-arrive Carcosa hardback. 

If you like the sound of this, I'd recommend picking up the Deadlands Noir hardback first, before grabbing the Companion (pictured).

Happy gaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment